Thursday, July 4, 2013

A review of "I've Got Your Back" by James C. Galvin

I've Got Your Back: A Leadership Parable. Biblical Principles for Leading and Following Well,  (James C Galvin,  Tenth Power, 2012) is based on the premise that if Jesus were to write a book about leadership, He would tell it in story form. 
Galvin does not tell a story as succinctly or as well as Jesus.
This parable includes a group of young people who are struggling with people who want to thrust them into roles that they are uncomfortable with. As they meet often and discuss their issues, an opportunity arises to learn how to be a good leader by being a good follower. The parable seemed too simplistic to me although there were some highlights.  I served in the Armed Forces so I can relate to acronyms. REAL (Responsible, Ethical, Authentic and Loving) are definitely attributes that most good leaders have.
The discussion of Types I, II and III followers also made sense as Galvin talked about following God, Inherited authorities (parents, legal authorities) and Human beings (with or without organizational authority).
This book is written in three parts: the Parable, a “Concise Theology of Leadership and Followership” and a study guide. In his Concise Theology, the author includes various scripture references for each of his points, but I still felt that something was missing.
There is some good information presented, but this was not an easy read for me. If I had not agreed to read the whole book and write an honest review, I probably wouldn't have finished it.

3/5 I received a copy of the book in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment