Saturday, October 19, 2013

a simple, but effective prayer

I’ve always been partial to Peter’s prayer as recorded in Matthew 14:30 - “Lord, save me!” , but after reading Robert Gelinas’ “The Mercy Prayer: The One Prayer Jesus Always Answers”, ( Thomas Nelson. 2013) I think I may have to reevaluate.
There’s something about this simple prayer that reminds me of the need I have for Jesus. And for mercy.  In fact I think others have written about this prayer before referring to it as the ‘Jesus prayer’. Regardless of what the prayer is called, it seems to be one of the most effective in scripture. I’m generally cautious when someone says always or never, but as Gelinas takes us through both testaments, there don’t seem to be any incidences of a request for mercy not being answered.
But anyone can read through scripture with a highlighter, or use computer software to find examples, and then compile them, so a long list doesn't impress me. What does make the difference in this book are the first few chapters, about 50 pages of what mercy is, and isn't, and how the author has seen it play out in his life.
A quick read, but with lots of substance. It might just change the way you look at prayer.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my opinion of the book in the form of a review. There was no requirement to write a positive review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment