Sunday, May 31, 2020

New life in Christ


About 2000 years ago, Jesus told Nicodemus, a ‘Teacher of Israel’ that he needed to be born again, and he had questions about what that meant.  So where does that leave us today? We have many of the same questions, but we can’t ask Jesus directly what he meant.
                It certainly isn’t an easy question, and the answers aren’t always that clear, but because we told that we must be born again to enter the God's Kingdom, we have questions and we seek answers.  Steven J. Lawson has gone to considerable effort to try to give scripturally sound answers to that age old question.  I had questions before, and even after reading New Life in Christ: What Really Happens When you’re Born Again and Why it Matters (Baker Books, 2020) I still doubt that I could clearly express myself if put on the spot to answer the question of what it means to be born again.

Having said that, I have a better understanding, but still not enough to thoroughly explain it to someone else. But then, other than Jesus, I doubt if anyone can truly explain it.  But Lawson does a good job of hitting the major points.
This book is an interesting read for anyone who is really interested in going deeper into the subject matter, but if you’re looking for an ‘easy read’, you might want to look elsewhere.  If I were still active in pastoral ministry, I might use this book as a starting point for a sermon series, .
I received a copy of this book as a member of a bloggers’ group. I was not required to post a positive review.
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment