Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Surrounded by Stupid

I wasn't aware that I was doing it so often, but lately I have been sharing internet memes that contain some variation on the theme 'you can't legislate stupidity'.  Someone laughingly? commented on my FB page and asked if were really surrounded by that many stupid people. She also asked if I needed prayer for that area of my life.

My response was that I usually posted something like that right after hearing or reading the news, and it was much more a matter of the state of the nation rather than my personal life, but since then I've been thinking about the things that I post and 'share' on social media.

The posts are often, but not always, my own ideas; and the shares are frequently passages of scripture that spoke to me during my morning Bible time.  I'm not clever enough to come up with the memes that i share, so when i see one that makes me laugh, makes me think or encourages me in some way, i hit the share button.

But back to legislating stupidity. Washington D.C. just happens to provide fodder for many jokes about adults acting in decidedly immature ways. Don't believe me? Watch late night TV: Leno, Letterman and all the rest. I might think a bit more about some of the  things I post, but as long as our elected representatives are so willing to be targets, I'll probably keep sharing those memes. But I'm praying for them too.

( 1 Tim 2:1-4)    I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior,  who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.(NIV)

P.S. while I was writing this a friend called to tell me of the latest stroke of genius to come from Washington D.C.  : don't issue Nov food stamps. Yeah it hurts people who get the food stamps, but it also hurts the places where they shop.  what a great way to boost the economy.  

Hopefully the people who can will be generous and support their local food pantries---lots of hungry people out there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment