Sunday, September 6, 2015

Buy a DVD instead

Exactly what is a “jackwagon’?  I’m not sure that the book ever answers the question, but that probably wasn’t the purpose of the book in the first place. (On line dictionaries suggest that a jackwagon is a loser, someone you consider worthless or lazy). It wasn’t the title of the book that interested me; it was the author. When I saw that “Diary of a Jackwagon” by Time Hawkins with John Driver, (Thomas Nelson 2015) was available for review I started salivating.  What can I say, Tim Hawkins is funny. His timing is near perfect, the faces he makes leave audiences rolling in the aisles or turning fake leather seats different colors (see page 145 for the reference to that). He sings, plays the guitar, and regardless of what he’s talking about, I’ve never heard anything that would make me cringe if my mother or a child were sitting next to me.
  I mean it, the guy is funny. Much funnier than the book. The words are the same, but the inflections in his voice when talking about certain subjects (read: people) don’t come through on the written page. Neither do the facial expressions, the timing or the hysterical singing style.
I like Tim Hawkins; I like his DVDs; I like watching him in person, but his special brand of humor didn’t, for me at least, translate onto the written page.  If I had just watched Tim performing the routines in this book, I’m sure it would rate an A++++, but as a book it just didn’t work.
3/5

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my review. The opinions expressed are my own. I was not required to write a positive review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment