Monday, April 9, 2018

thoughts on "The Prayer Wheel"


When I saw the title The Prayer Wheel: A Daily Guide to Renewing your Faith with a Rediscovered Spiritual Practice (Convergent Books, 2018) by Patton Dodd, Jana Reiss, and David Van Buren, I was excited to read about an ancient prayer practice. Unfortunately, the excitement pretty much stopped there. Yes, there are interesting connections to be made between the Our Father, the Gifts of the Spirit, the Beatitudes, and the events of the life of Christ, but when put together in this wheel, as a way to help focus daily prayer, I found myself more and more confused, rather than focused.
                There are undoubtedly people whose minds work in much the same way as those of the authors, or perhaps a more in-depth understanding of the ancient practices would have been beneficial, but for me this book just doesn’t work.  I found it to be less of a guide, and more of a daily list of written sentence prayers. 
                I received a copy of this book from the “Blogging for Books” program in exchange for posting a review.
               3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment