Wednesday, May 23, 2018

an easy-to-follow model for sharing the Gospel


I can’t begin to remember how many excuses I’ve come up with over the years to not talk about Jesus. To not talk about God. To not talk about the gospel. And apart from not wanting people to think I’m a little weird, there was also the fact that I had never learned how to have a Gospel conversation in a way that made sense.
Of course I’d seen tracts with the four spiritual laws, and several other cartoon type things assuring me that if I didn’t immediately fall to my needs in repentance that I was doomed to eternal hellfire and brimstone.  And that threatening type of marketing has never worked for me.
So when I saw the opportunity to review this little book, eagerly clicked yes!  Have I been able to put into practice everything I learned in the 100+ pages of Turning Everyday Conversations into Gospel Conversations (B&H Books, 2018) by Jimmy Scroggins and Steve Wright with Leslee Bennett?  Not so much. But this book at least gives me a tool to use, and more importantly gives some tips for turning a conversation that’s already in progress into an opportunity to share the gospel.

                It’s also encouraging to read about conversations that didn’t result in an immediate decision. Far too often an author presents his or her method as one that works—period. They neglect to mention those times when it didn’t work, or mention that some people just aren’t ready (but may be at a later time) or because of their culture or existing religious belief may never want to hear the good news. Even though I know that no method, no marketing tool works 100% of the time, if a book is so slanted that it appears that way, when it doesn’t work for me, I tend to see myself as the problem, and then get discouraged.
                It takes a while to get to the “Three Circles Gospeling Tool” (maybe 30 minutes, because this really is a quick read) but by the time I got to this chapter I was excited to read about the tool and how to use it.
                Another plus is the excellent lead-in, after demonstrating the Three Circles tool, to actually discipling the person who has just accepted Christ. All too often that part gets left out. 
                I received a copy of this book from the publisher as a participant in their bloggers program. 
                5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment