Sunday, September 16, 2018

Some things you should know about Spiritual Gifts


To be honest, I’m not much of an expert on the topic of Spiritual Gift. Better put, I don’t know much about them at all. I didn’t take a class on the gifts in Seminary. Nor do I remember talking much about them in the classes that I did take. Sure, they were mentioned in New Testament Survey classes—you can’t read Paul’s letters without reading about the gifts, but it was never a major focus.  I’m not even sure that we took a spiritual gifts survey in seminary, although I have done a couple of different surveys in different bible study/small group settings.  In seminary, though we took a psychological profile, which was probably meant to determine suitability for the ministry. What I remember about that was that careers I should avoid included the military and sales. I took it after retiring from the Air Force, and then working in a number of sales positions, for several years before God's call on my life got so strong that I could no longer ignore it.
                All that to say that I was intrigued by the ‘teaser’ for Spiritual Gifts: What They Are & Why They Matter by Thomas R Schreiner (B&H Publishing, 2018) and I requested the book, hoping that there would be some information that might help me 1) develop a clearer understanding of why my spiritual gifts are, and 2) be able to use the information to help members of the congregation understand their gifts, and how they can use them to help in the church. 

                Suffice to say, the book is not what I expected. There are some well thought out arguments, but he makes well thought out arguments for both sides. I was rather surprised to read that he is a cessationist (believing that the NT gifts, at least some of them, ceased after the death of the Apostles) but then he suggestions that other theologians who think differently than he does, may have a better understanding of the material. There’s a lot to be said for humility, and graciousness, but it also sets the stage for the reader to think that the author isn’t convinced of his position.
                Usually when I read a book that tends to be of a persuasive nature, I expect the author to try to convince me that he is correct in his premise, I just didn’t get that sense here. There is good information presented, for both sides of the argument, and I got the feeling that I was being invited to choose a side, rather than to understand the topic as the author does.
                I’m grateful for the information, because as I stated earlier, I need to better understand the topic of gifts; but I’m not necessarily a fan of the way it was presented.
I received a copy of the book from the publisher as a part of their bloggers program. I was not required to post a positive review.
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment