Thursday, October 4, 2018

Stumbling toward wholeness


Sometimes I like a book, but I can’t really say why, other than at times it makes so much sense with what’s going on in my life right now, or it tells a story from my past. And sometimes I can’t even tell if it’s talking to my past self or my present self.  And that’s the case with Stumbling toward Wholeness: How the Love of God Changes Us by Andrew J. Bauman, (NavPress, 2018).

                I don’t know anyone who could truly be called “split” or “multiple” personality, but I think for each of us there are times when we feel like someone else has taken over our body, and we just don’t know how to cope. Just as we get used to dealing with the world in a certain way, it seems that a different part of our brain kicks in, and we have to look at things differently. In a sense this book is written to/for/about those who suffer from substance abuse. Yet it’s also for people whose hearts have been broken by those they love, those who have broken someone’s heart, and those who are bitter because of the perceived injustice that exists in their family or community.  I guess that covers just about everyone.
                In this book, Bauman looks at the 3 main characters of the Parable of the Prodigal Son, as recounted in chapter 15 of the Gospel of Luke.  I know that most people, depending on where they might be on their faith walk, identify more closely with either the Father, the elder brother, or the younger brother. That’s true in my case also, but at different times, depending on the circumstance, the situation, or with whom I’m interacting at the time, I might also identify closely with one of the other characters.
                And that confuses me. I identify with a certain set of beliefs, values, and emotions, and suddenly I get to experience things in a different light. And I think that’s the strong point of this book. Bauman, helps us to recognize that sometimes we overlook the other characters of this story, and as a result we’re left fragmented. Only when we realize that at different times we are the runaway son, the entitled older brother, or the welcoming father do we reach a state of wholeness.
                This is a delightful mix of theology, self-reflection, professional experience, and a rare (but welcome) vulnerability. As I was reading, I found myself naming the people he was talking about—not really, I named the people in my life who sounded just like the people in his. And I found myself making a list of people within my circle who might benefit from reading this book—if only they would.
                Well worth the read
5/5
                A member of the publisher’s blogging program, I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review. There was no requirement of expectation of a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment