Saturday, January 25, 2020

What's your BHAG?

It's good to have BHAGs (Big Hairy Audacious Goals), but sometimes they seem overwhelming to the extreme.  So you break them down into manageable pieces. Smaller pieces that quickly add up and get you to that place you were aiming for.
     I thought that a bunch of people (some I know,  and some don't) must be nuts to think that they,  or anyone else for that matter,  could possibly do 10,000 pull ups in only one year.   Can't be done says I. 
         How about a little over 800 a month. No way!
          200+ a week? Yeah,  not happening.
      That's about 35 a day, and let's you take a rest day.  That still seems like an awful lot.   I can't do 35 pull ups.
       But maybe I could do 4 sets of 10, or maybe 8 sets of 5.   Somehow that seemed doable!
   On Jan 6, I did 3 sets of 10 and 4 sets of 5.   Kept at it every day.  50 pull ups or chin ups daily,  Monday through Saturday.  Starting the 13th I did 55 a day with however many reps I could do in a set.
   This past Monday I set the goal of 60 total a day.  After today's 60, I had a total of 990 --- so of course I did the extra 10.  In 3 weeks I have done 1,000 chin - or pull - ups.   A lot more than I thought I could do in an entire year.
     So set those BHAGs, and go after them. Sometimes looking at the finish line instead of the next step motivates you -- but sometimes it might paralyze you. 
       Have a goal? Good,  now break it down into the small pieces that you can manage each day,  and then don't be afraid to get started.  Before you know it,  you'll have meet your goal -- and can move on to the next one.
       What's your BHAG?   (Fitness or otherwise?)

No comments:

Post a Comment