Sunday, July 13, 2014

too complicated - a review of SIMPLIFY

     Simplify. Ten Practices to Unclutter Your Soul, by Bill Hybels (Tyndale Momentum, 2014) is too complicated to have a title like Simplify.  This seems to be a case of the cure is worse than the disease. Too many chapters with too many subheadings, followed by action steps which in themselves require you to clutter.

     I’m torn as I write this: much of the information that Hybels presents is logical and sound advice. He addresses the issues that frustrate so many of us, but in offering so much advice and so many options, he defeats his purpose for writing the book: to offer a simple way to simplify. Even tackling one of the 10 issues he addresses would require a massive effort for someone who is already feeling like they are sinking. And there are ten areas of our lives where Hybels suggests we can or should change.
     
    There is a lot of good stuff in this book, His “Five Beliefs of Financial Reconciliation” are worthy of a book by themselves.

     But I just couldn't get past the place where I was feeling that when I’m ‘depleted’ that I wouldn't have the energy to even begin some of the steps that Hybels recommends as a part of the replenishing process. And when things are going well, that is, the sense of depletion isn't weighing me down with every step, then it probably isn't going to seem feasible or necessary to jump through the hoops.

     I liked the idea of having a ‘life verse’ and thought it was a good idea to include some possible, along with some tips on how to pick one for yourself. There were a few references to his verse throughout the book, but not enough to warrant the beginning of Appendix A: “I hope by now I have convinced you…”

     Although much of the information in this book could be useful for a particular circumstance, overall I was disappointed with the book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review. I was no required to write a positive review and the opinions expressed are my own.


3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment