Tuesday, August 15, 2017

in, and out of, the pit

We all have those moments, those moments when it feels like things couldn’t get much worse, and we’re left grasping at anything that seems to offer us a way out of the pit. Beth Moore in her book Get Out of That Pit: Straight Talk About God's Deliverance (W Publishing Group, 20017), has a lot to say about that pit, or as may be the case, those pits.

                The story line is pretty linear—the horrors of being in the pit; how we get into the pit (we slip in, get thrown in or jump in; acknowledging that there is a way out of that pit, and the steps to getting out (cry out for help, confess to God the nature of the problem, and consent to let Him help). Then we wait for God to show up and show off. Hopefully it doesn’t take too many pit experiences to convince us that we’ve had enough, and so we can make up our mind to try to avoid the things that got us there. And once we’ve allowed God to pull us out we should change out tune, and live a different life, one that keeps us focused on God, which in turn helps us to avoid the pits in the future.
                  I admit that I had not read any of Beth Moore’s material previously, but I know a lot of people who have engaged with her Bible Studies, and have enjoyed them. So I welcomed the opportunity to look at this book.  I should have passed on the opportunity.  Beth Moore writes for women, and I guess I was aware of that, but I figured that this is Bible Study material, so it should have a somewhat universal appeal. It doesn’t.
                I found this book to be rather simplistic in nature, which may be more indicative of her intended audience (and for baby Christians this might be a good start).  In my opinion the cover set the tone for the book. Ms Moore is very nicely dressed, every hair in place, flashy jewelry and nicely applied makeup.  There is no way I was going to be convinced that this woman had ever been near a pit, much less wallowed in one.
                I received a copy of the book in exchange for a review…I was not required to write a positive review.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment