Friday, September 29, 2017

A Crazy Holy Grace

The name Frederick Buechner sounded familiar, but I didn’t know from where (and I still don’t) so when I got an email asking if I would like HandleBar to send me a copy of his Book A Crazy, Holy Grace: The Healing Power of Pain and Memory, (Zondervan, 2017) in exchange for a review, I gladly said ‘yes’. I’m certainly not disappointed.

This is a short easy to read book, that has to be read more than once. Perhaps easy to read is misleading. It flows, short anecdotal accounts of things that matter in his life. But there are so many different layers that are only uncovered after a 2nd or 3rd rereading.  You pick how you want to read it: as a devotional, as a Readers Digest ™ collection of stories, as a collection of theological essays, or as a starting point for you to get honest about your own pain, your own memories, and your own pathway to healing.
And let’s be honest: we all struggle with pain.  And further honesty means we have to admit that we all have those memories. But pain and memories don’t have to define us. In the midst of darkness, we can still find hope and healing thanks to that “crazy, holy, grace”. Buechner shows us that there is a path up, and remembering the past is often a good way to get started on that path.
5/5

I received a copy of this book from Handlebar in exchange for my review 

No comments:

Post a Comment