Saturday, October 7, 2017

thoughts on "The Sacred Slow"

            I’m generally in a rush to get somewhere, or to get something done, and at the same time I’m trying to learn to rest and relax in God's presence, to experience Sabbath rest.  I know that fast and furious is okay in an emergency, but every day and everything shouldn’t be an emergency. So we’re back to slow, and once again I agreed to read and blog about a book based on the title.
            And the title is intriguing, The Sacred Slow: A holy Departure from Fast Faith (by Alicia Britt Chole, W Publishing Group, 2017) sounded like it would be just what I needed to help me ease back into a gentler pace, a more sustainable pace, a pace that would help me better connect with God.
            Unfortunately, the book doesn’t work for me. The chapters are short, and as a devotional that’s probably a good thing, but I had trouble staying focused on even a few short pages.  I wanted something that would slow me down, give me time to talk with God, time to be still in his presence, and besides I don’t do well at journaling, so the ‘exercises’ at the end of each chapter, seemed like one more thing I needed to hurry to get done.
            Additionally some of the exercises seemed more like something one would be asked to do as a part of their therapy, rather than time with God.
            I imagine that my opinion of this book is based more on my personality and style than it is the book itself, and there are probably any number of people who would be able to bask in God's presence through these exercises---I’m just not one of them.
I received a copy of this book from HandleBar in exchange for a review. I was not required to write a positive review.  

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment