Saturday, October 28, 2017

Can the classic hymns still speak to us today?

I grew up going to church and singing the hymns that were in hymnals published in the 1940s and 50’s. Hymns that were written decades earlier than that. Many of the hymns we sang so often 50 years ago, and I’ve been singing them ever since, that I can sing along without missing too many of the words.  But often that’s all the hymns mean to me: Words. I like hymns, but the language of so many of them is confusing.
                And when language is confusing, the beauty of the hymn gets lost. It’s easy to decide that we prefer praise songs, or contemporary music, something that speaks to us where we are today.
                Fortunately a new devotional is available to help us experience 18th and 19th century hymns in the 21st century. Classic Hymns,(B&H Publishing, 2017)  edited by Lore Ferguson Wilbert, is part of the “Read and Reflect with the Classics" series.

                The premise is simple. Pick a hymn, include the lyrics, assign the reading of a passage of Scripture (on which the hymn is based, or to which it pertains), ask some questions about the passage, then bring it forward to today, by asking several questions for personal reflections, and offer a prayer.  A simple devotional exercise that allows you to spend time with God, and learn about the classic hymns.
                I’m familiar with over half of the hymns chosen for this book, there are some I would have omitted because I question the theology behind them (even though God's people have been singing them for years), and there are, of course, some personal favorites that I might have included.
                I was provided a copy of this book by LIFEWAY/B&H publishers in exchange for the review.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment