Saturday, November 4, 2017

Mending Your Broken Swallow

We all know what it feels like. Some of us even admit to it once in a while. That feeling of brokenness, of being shattered into pieces. The complete lack of Shalom.  And then there’s wholeness. The trick is recognizing that there is something broken, and then working towards restoration. Putting things back into place, back together. Tough to do on our own. But sometimes we think we can pull it off without anyone being any the wiser. And then you read a book like this one. Whole” Restring What Is Broken in Me, You, and the Entire World. (NAVPRESS, 2017) by Steve Wiens helps us recognize that there is a way to pick up the pieces and put them back together.


I read the book through rather quickly—the first time. And then I had to go back and read it again. There was a lot that spoke to me, during the season of brokenness that I’m going through right now. But out of brokenness comes completeness, hope and Shalom-type-peace.

I wish I could rate this differently than the systems allow for. 4/5 is only 80%, nowhere near high enough. But 5/5 is 100%, and that’s just a little too high. Can someone come up with a way to rank on a score of 20? This would be a 19.  What bothers me is the use of so many Hebrew, Greek, and even a word or two in Latin. Even the glossary while helpful, seemed a bit, to me, pretentious.

It’s often difficult to look at questions that make us think. But Wiens does his readers a favor by including a few of those questions at the end of each chapter. I tried to deal with them as I was reading, but what great conversation starters for a small group. The chapters are some of the big questions of life, and the discussion questions help us to put those big questions into perspective and answer them on a personal basis.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review.


19/20

No comments:

Post a Comment