Saturday, May 12, 2018

Growing Down. Bigger is not always better


Bigger is not always better, but unfortunately we’ve grown up in a society that suggests that more is what we should be going for, not just in a paycheck, but in everything else also.
Michael Kelley sets out to remind us that ‘less is more’ is a biblical concept. Remember John the Baptizer, while talking about Jesus, saying, “He must become greater, I must become less.” (John 3:30, NIV).  In Growing Down: Unlearning the Patterns of Adulthood that Keep Us from Jesus (B&H Publishing Group, 2018) Kelley offers numerous examples of areas of our life where we definitely need to become less so that Jesus can become more in our lives. Just a few examples are how we have learned to be self-reliant, when what we should be striving for is dependence on the Savior; or how we should unlearn anxiety in favor of trust. And my favorite is how the busyness that we’ve been taught is a good thing has to become secondary to Sabbath rest if we are to find time to be with Jesus in any meaningful way.
I enjoyed reading the book, but I’m not sure how much potential to be a life changer for me. It’s short and easy to read, but I didn’t find a lot of ‘AHA’ moments.
I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for my review. I was not required to post a positive review.
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment