Sunday, March 24, 2019

Heading towards Transformation


Sometimes we all get to the point where we don’t like ourselves very much. Usually with good cause, I mean after all, we’re sinners and steeped in sin. I’m not talking about self-loathing, or utter disgust. Rather, I’m referring to those moments when we realize that we’re not as happy as we could be with the way we are, and hopefully, realize that there is something to be done about it.
                And Whitney Capps, in her book Sick of Me: from Transparency to Transformation (B&H Books, 2019) does a pretty good job of addressing the issue, and pointing the reader to a possible solution.  And yes, there is a solution. It’s not a get rich quick scheme, it probably won’t happen overnight, and it’s definitely a process, but there is a solution.

                Early in the book Capps writes that she went to lunch with a friend and confessed “I’m sick of me.” The friend finally responded with “...stop telling me about you. Tell me about Jesus.” And that seems to be the key. Put God first, put Jesus first, stop fueling your own desire to be above all.
                I probably don’t fit the profile of the target audience; the more I read, the more I thought that this book was written for women (although the symptoms and the cure are similar or the same for men as they are for women).  The chatty, conversational way that Capps writes about the issues with being a wife and mother make this book one that women will probably relate to more than men will.
                One additional comment: some people, but not me, might find her frequent use of ‘Y’all’ cute or clever. Even though Capps lives in the south, and I mentioned that her style of writing is conversational, the ‘Y’all’s just seemed contrived and out of place. 
                It was an enjoyable read, and I’m sure that many of the women who attend events of Proverbs 31 Ministries where Capps is a speaker will appreciate and learn from the book.
                I received a copy of the book from the publisher as part of their bloggers program,
                4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment