Saturday, March 30, 2019

it's #WHYIVASA

I’ve been thinking a lot about my VASA journey lately.
Originally I signed up for the basic membership, but it didn’t take me long to figure out that I didn’t know enough about any of the machines for that membership to do me any good (especially when I could go to the Dojo where my son teaches and use their treadmill and weight machines for free-still not knowing enough about them)
So early on I signed up for a personal trainer figuring I could have someone show me what I should be doing and keep me semi accountable. The price was more than I really wanted to pay, but at the same time I had recently retired, and also encountered some significant health issues. Getting active would give me something to do in retirement as well as address the health concerns. There was just one problem: I would meet with Nate on Wednesday, but when I went back to the gym on Thursday I would have forgotten what all the initials and strange terms in my folder meant. And there were no pictures! I had so many questions that I’m sure Nate and Kalen thought that I was a lost cause.
One day Nate suggested that I come to his TEAM training class—I had no idea what he was talking about, but hey, it was included in the price of my (personal trainer) membership, so I decided to give it a shot. I won’t go so far as to say that I was the biggest klutz in the class, but I never found anyone who seemed to have as much trouble as I did. Little by little though, the movements became easier, and I sort of knew what was going on.
Fast forward a few months to the end of my 6 month contract, and the beginning of a new program called VASA FIT. (No personal trainer, but unlimited access to the TEAM classes. And here I had to make a choice. I loved working out with Nate, and then with Courtney after Nate got promoted, but finances was a concern, so I opted for the VASA FIT, after all by this time I was at the gym several times a week doing TEAM training anyway, and the higher price plan only got me one more session a week.
Don’t get me wrong, I think having a personal trainer was a very good thing for me. After all, if I was paying for it, I was going to use it; and the commitment, in my case was necessary. WHY? You ask. Because after a month I wasn’t seeing any results. I went to my session once a week, did a breathe class, and a torque class, but I hadn’t seen much of a weight loss, I didn’t notice that I was any stronger, (or any less clumsy). I didn’t really know anybody at the gym, and each day it was a struggle to force myself to go.
If I had waited to join VASA until the memberships were month to month, I probably would have left after the first month, I’m glad I stayed around long enough to see the difference. And now I hear that there are a lot of people just like me. Gym membership seems like a good idea until they realize that you have to do more than write a check once a month if you want to see results. you actually have to go into the gym and work out. Stick around for a while longer than you might, and really apply yourself.
If you have a trainer, (and VASA Fitness has some of the best) you owe it to yourself to try some of the TEAM classes. Great instructors make even the sweatiest of sessions a fun time; and then there are the friends you make with the other people who have fitness goals like yours. And when you pay for a Trainer, TEAM classes are included in your membership. WIN-WIN situation!
AND LOOK AT ME NOW:


If you have the basic membership (or pay the little bit extra to be able to use the pool and other amenities) you seriously should consider talking to one of the fitness counselors about what you would have to do to try a class, (and then when you love it, upgrade your membership)
Don’t leave 5 minutes before the miracle happens! I owe so much to some really great trainers at the Clinton location. ( and a couple who have transferred to other VASA locations. It's amazing what VASA can do for you if you are willing to apply yourself.
#WHYIVASA

No comments:

Post a Comment