Sunday, October 27, 2019

great illustrations, story line lacking


I’ve read a previous book in the “Slugs and Bugs” collection and thought it was a delightful way to engage small children and teach them about Christian values. So I was eager to take a look at the The Society of Extraordinary Raccoon Society ( Randall Goodgame, B&H Kids, 2019)
                Eager, but disappointed. Yes there are valuable lessons about giving, and sharing, but I had a hard time reading this as a rhyme, and it didn’t seem to be much of a story. 

                Once again I feel that this is geared to a younger audience than the stated targeted age group, and that’s because of the illustrations by Joe Sutphin which are whimsical and fun. Small children will enjoy the colors and the friendly-seeming, fun-loving raccoons.  Older kids, probably not so much,
I struggled with a rating for this book, but because I liked the illustrations opted to give it a 3/5
I received a copy of this book as a member of the publisher’s bloggers program

No comments:

Post a Comment