Sunday, November 3, 2019

Narrative Apologetics: not an easy read for the typical layperson


I love stories. Everyone has one, and I enjoy hearing them. A person’s story gives me insight into who that person is, and what drives or motivates them. And from the perspective of sharing the gospel, your story tells me where you are on your faith walk, and gives me a place from which to start.
Alister McGrath, in his book Narrative Apologetics: Sharing the Relevance, Joy, and Wonder of the Christian Faith (Baker Books, 2019) writes about the use of stories to explain your faith. He draws heavily from the works of C.S. Lewis as well as J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” for examples of how extra-biblical stories can play a part in sharing the Gospel. And he also draws from the biblical accounts of the Exodus, (the hope of deliverance); the Exile, (Where do we really belong?); the Christ, (Rendering the love of God); and the Kingdom, (what do we really desire?).

I read through the book fairly quickly, because I didn’t take the time to head to the back of the books to refer to the several hundred footnotes. I would have liked to have seen more examples of practical applications, so this is probably not the book for a casual reader. Having said that, it would probably be useful as a textbook, or even as the basis for a Sunday School class, or a small group that wants to learn how to be more effective when it comes to personal evangelism efforts.
There is some useful information to be found throughout, and in chapter 6, dealing with the meaning of life, the reader is invited to ask questions such as “who am I”, “do I matter”, “why am I here” and “can I make a difference?”.   And when we are able to answer those questions, we are well on the way to developing a world view, worthy of any Christian.
I received a copy of this book as a member of the publisher’s Blogging program. I was not required to write a positive review.
3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment