Sunday, December 26, 2010

What’s the Weather?

This morning when I looked at the forecast for today I was pleased to see 42º and partly cloudy. Don’t get me wrong, I love snow, as long as I don’t have to shovel it, or drive in it. A lot of people at our church don’t like to drive in the snow either. So I was glad that there was no snow in the forecast.

Then all of a sudden, almost at the end of the service, I looked out the window and saw that it was snowing. And snowing. We stayed around at church for a while and then figured since we had a couple of errands to run, that we better get moving. This was pretty to look at snow, but we quickly realized that it was ugly to drive in, at least with my little car. Slip-sliding around on hills and through red lights or around corners is not my idea of a pleasant Sunday afternoon. (I like the fact that my insurance company thinks I have a good driving record, and want to keep it that way.

Drove the 11 miles home, much more slowly than usual, and all the while wondering where the snow came from. It was snowing in Nashville, several places in Kentucky, New York City and Washington DC got pummeled, but it was supposed to be nice here. Let it snow where it usually doesn’t. People there get excited at the novelty and besides a snowless Christmas Eve was a couple of days ago – winter can be over now.

Got home, thought about shoveling the driveway but took a nap instead, woke up and thought about getting the snow-blower out, but got the shovel instead. Should have got the snow-blower - it would have done a better job

Hopefully the snow will be gone in a day or two, but in the meantime I have to deal with it. And it’s probably better to get rid of it before it starts to melt and then freezes, and melts and freezes, and you get the idea. Snow is easier to shovel than ice. Easier to walk on too.

So tomorrow, I guess instead of the newspaper, the computer and a radio station, I’ll use the old fashioned way of telling what the weather is - I’ll look out the window.

Maybe I'll get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment