Friday, March 25, 2011

Book Review: Radical , by David platt

David Platt starts out asking two questions that anyone who claims to be a Christian needs to ask himself: first, am I going to embrace Jesus, even though He says some pretty radical things and drives the crowds away? And then, an even tougher one: am I going to obey Jesus, even when He gets radical?


And that sets the tone for the rest of “Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream”. Platt goes on to say that his biggest fear is to be like the majority of the original followers: hear something radical, decide it’s too costly, and walk away.

So by the bottom of page 2, I was torn. I didn’t know whether I wanted to read on and see what kind of radical behavior Platt and his church would be exhibiting, and that I might be called to also, or whether I wanted to delete the book from my Kindle and find something safer to read. And basically those are the two reactions to the radical behavior of Jesus. Get radical yourself, embrace Him and obey Him, or count the cost too high, turn and walk away, find something safe. There really isn't any in-between.

Platt decided on radical, and along the way something strange starts happening. He and others learn more about what it means to be a follower of Jesus, what it means to be a Christian, what it means to follow the Great Commission. And as radical as things seem, it works.

This is not a book that’s easy to like; oh sure on the one hand it sounds good, and isn’t it nice that all those nice church people are acting all churchy? But on the other hand, it doesn’t take long to see that Platt isn’t just saying that this is a fun way to spend a couple of weeks or months doing another program, but rather that he’s inviting us to make a lifestyle change. A change that requires us to be radical enough to listen to Jesus call on our lives, and to be willing to obey, even when it costs us, even when it seems crazy, even when it makes us question our sanity.

Platt has figured out that the American Dream of the house, white picket fence, 2.3 kids and a dog might look good in the movies, but when it comes to building God's Kingdom, that dream gets in the way.

Consider carefully whether you want to read this book. It will challenge you in ways that you’ve probably never imagined.

I dare you to get Radical when it letting Jesus truly be Lord and Savior in your life.

I purchased this book and was not paid for the review.

1 comment:

  1. Is the American Christian life today any different that that of our fellow non-believing mankind? That seems to be the question that David Platt is asking in his book Radical. Upon his observation when asking himself this question, he returned with an answer of NO. I could not agree more. Just based upon my own life, I know that my life as a Christian is not all that different from my neighbor who either doesn't care or doesn't even know about Christ.

    ReplyDelete