Wednesday, August 31, 2011

get to where God wants you Review of Craig Groeschel's "CHAZOWN

Craig Groeschel’s “Chazown” is a book about finding and getting to that place where God wants you to be so that He can best use you. Craig starts out with a great concept: get the vision of what God is calling you to do, and then do whatever it takes to get there. Don’t just follow the crowd; be a little weird if you have to. Figure out what you’re core values are and then make decisions based on those values. And be prepared to make mistakes, but realize that those mistakes don’t have to be fatal.
All good advice, but I wanted something a little deeper. The “You’re the Author” section at the end of each chapter was helpful, but just didn’t go quite far enough.
I really liked the personal examples, the transparency and humanness that Craig used to illustrate his various points.
Over all, this was not quite the book I was expecting. I’ve seen the book on the shelves; I liked the cover, I was tempted to pick it up, but for some reason never got around to buying it. I’ve read some other, newer, stuff by Craig Groeschel, and was hoping that this would be as good or better. It wasn’t.
I imagine those readers a decade or two younger than me, readers who may be new to this whole church thing would really like this book. Most of the things that Craig writes about are nothing new for people who have been around the church for a while. He does however present them in a different way than many ‘boomers’ are used to having them explained. It’s a way that seems to be appealing to younger generations.
Although I don’t see myself using this on a regular basis as a reference; I also wouldn’t hesitate to give a copy of this book to someone with questions and a desire to get to the next step,
3.5/5 stars
Multnomah provided me a copy of this book in exchange for my review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment