Sunday, April 19, 2015

Messengers on The CW : thoughts on episode 1

Friday a friend was excited about The Messengers, a new show that would be premiering that evening on the CW. I watched it, and Saturday asked if anybody else had watched it. One friend said that after about 1/2 hour she gave up and went to bed, and another friend was surprised that anybody would miss a baseball game to watch a TV show.

And I don't know just where I fit when it comes to reaction, but so far, after only one episode, probably somewhere in the middle. It's doubtful that I would rearrange my schedule to ensure that I could see it. But on the other hand, I wouldn't rearrange my schedule so as to deliberately miss it either. And would I go to bed after watching half of it? Maybe yes, maybe no.

And that's unfortunate. Even after watching the first episode, I'm still undecided as to whether or not I liked the show. I had read a brief comment about the show, so I wasn't totally in the dark, but even with the cheat sheet, it was hard to follow.

This first episode was obviously meant to introduce the main characters and set the scene for the rest of the season, but at times, it seemed like they were simulcasting 4 different episodes, or even 4 different shows. Eventually though, as each mini-episode progressed, it seemed that members of what I know (from the trailer) is going to be the team, were all heading towards a rendezvous spot. It's difficult to figure out what they're going to be doing there, but at least they have a destination.

The premise is a good one: we all have to make choices, and there are factors in our lives trying to influence those choices, for good or bad. I hope that the next episode doesn't seem quite so disjointed, or I may be like my friend who watched for 1/2 hour and went to bed. If it doesn't flow a little better, I may not watch long enough to see what those choices are, and what decisions are eventually made.

No comments:

Post a Comment