Thursday, June 6, 2019

I KEPT WAITING FOR THE SURPRISE


I often get books because I like the title or the cover. Sometimes it’s recommended by a friend, or get it as a gift. Other times it’s offered as a book for review in one of the programs in which I participate. I don’t remember the circumstances behind Heroic: The Surprising Path to True Manhood (by Bill Dalvaux, B&H Books, 2019), and it sat in the pile of ‘to be read’ for several weeks before I got around to picking it up.
It was a fairly easy read, and filled with lots of anecdotes from the author’s personal experience, but I didn’t find anything new from many other men’s ministry books that I’ve read over the past 20 years. Likewise, there was nothing that I found that reminded me of something exciting from the other books that I’ve read. Some of the examples that he came up with seemed a little ‘foo-foo’ for a book about true manhood.
Bottom line, for me there was nothing to either really like or really dislike in this book.
3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment