Saturday, May 21, 2011

Not the Jolt I Was Expecting book Review: Jolt, by Phil Cooke

Phil Cooke lists 25 jolts for us to follow in his book “JOLT: Get the Jump on a World That’s Constantly Changing”. The basic premise of the book is that the world is changing and organizations have to change and adapt if they are going to survive. In order to help organizations and churches, and to some extent even individuals do that, he’s put together a list of 25 jump-starters, or as he calls them, jolts.


I didn’t see any jolt that couldn’t help, but most of them I’ve heard before. There were some gems hidden among his explanations, expansions, and variations on a theme, and I definitely recognized some things that would be helpful for the church where I serve if we could learn to embrace them.

I wasn’t a big fan of the writing style, and I think it’s because I didn’t quite get who the target audience was. As I said earlier the jolts can apply to a wide variety of organizations, levels of management, and even individuals; however a CEO, a first line supervisor and the person who wants to get out of a rut and better his life, sometimes need to hear the message in different ways.

There are some ‘jolts’ I want to try, but this book wasn’t quite as electrifying as I had hoped it would be.

Four of five stars



I was provided a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for writing the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment