Saturday, March 24, 2018

Experience the First Testament in a new way

             For the sake of transparency, let me say that I love the Old Testament. (Don't get me wrong the New Testament ties with the Old for my favorite). But as much as I appreciate and enjoy reading the OT, there are times when things don't make sense.  Yes I have a concordance; I read the commentaries; different translations, and even paraphrases, are often helpful; but still, sometimes I just don't get it.
            Why? Because quite often, even after traveling to the Holy Land, I don't understand the culture. I often don't even understand the local culture of the 21st century, so there's no way I can pretend to understand the culture in which Jesus grew up and ministered 2000 years ago.  I want to understand it though, so when I was browsing a list of books for review, I was drawn in by the title of Lois Tverberg's new book,  Reading the Bible with Rabbi Jesus: How a Jewish Perspective Can Transform Your Understanding (Baker Books, 2017).

         And before I go any further, let me say that I was not disappointed. Tverberg has spent time in the Holy Land, studying the language, getting to know the people, and learning about the culture. She is able to help the reader see how things make sense when we learn to read them with middle-eastern eyes. Not everyone in the world thinks the way the typical westerner might. Reading this book helps me remember that, and gives me insight into how the people reading the scrolls might have interpreted them. Much differently than I do, because they had the oral history to help them put things in context. And many people had memorized the Torah (books of the Law). They had studied the teachings of the rabbis, and they knew the scriptures.  I have trouble remembering any passage longer than John 11:35 (Jesus wept.)
              And then we remember the familiar saying "It's Greek to me!".  Greeks and Hebrews had entirely different ways of ordering things, and looking at the world.  While reading the chapter " Greek Brain, Hebrew Brain' I was reminded of this difference, and was able to remember that there were a couple of different worldviews in play.
             Jesus knew Scripture, he used it, quoted it, applied it, and invites us to do the same. And with His help, it's so much easier.
              All in all I found this to be a very enjoyable, informative book, written in an easy to understand manner. Highly recommended for anyone who struggles with making sense out of some of those passages that need the background information that may or may not be included in your study Bible
5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment