Saturday, March 24, 2018

Raising Passionate Jesus Followers--my thoughts

        My son is a young adult, so I missed out on many of the stages that the Comers write about in Raising Passionate Jesus Followers: the Power of Intentional Parenting (Zondervan, 2018). But I have to admit, that I didn't find anything new or earth-shattering in any of the chapters. Yes there was some good advice in places, but all of that advice can certainly be found in any number of other places. And since I remember doing some of the things that were recommended, I guess I found that advice in other places. Or perhaps it was common sense. Read the bible to your kids; take them to church; at different ages, they have different needs and should be dealt with according to what level of maturity they have; all your kids are different and need to be treated as individuals. WOW! What a surprise.

        My first concern about what I was reading came early on, in the forward written by Emerson Eggerichs.  A pastor was so impressed with how well his parents had done parenting him that he invited them to teach a parenting class which he attended. I love my parents too. That doesn't make them experts.

      I'm used to reading books that suggest that this is what worked for the author in his context, but it often comes with the caveat that this is what he did, and that it might not, probably won't, work for someone else. This book seemed to be more along the lines of the authors saying "this is what works..."

      I received a copy of this book in exchange for the review.

     3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment