Monday, January 17, 2011

Cold is relative

It’s almost 40º here today, and I’m still calling it cold. Or I was until I read an email from my sister in Rochester NY. My nieces went ice skating last night with the youth group from their church; it was a brisk
 -9º (yep that’s right, 9 degrees below zero). And then I talked to my brother this morning – the temperature there in Rochester is slowly rising, it was up to -4º .

If you read yesterday’s post, you know that I’m planning on getting wet on Saturday morning, and the water is likely to be cool. Well, it will probably be COLD. Someone is going up on Friday with a jack hammer and chain saw to cut a hole in the ice so we can get into the water. That water is going to be slightly colder than cool. Can you say "%&^#*" ?

But several times over the past 5 years I’ve been at the AB Kids’ church camp during July, and on more than one occasion got up at about 5:30 am to go down to the pool for the camp’s polar bear club. Each morning we thought that the water was cold. Granted the sun’s not up, and the camp is in the mountains, and the stream is run-off and snow melt, but the temperature is in the 80’s, so the water is probably not that cold.

And I really realize what a wimp I am when I go the Marshall White Center to swim laps. The director tells me that the water is about 85º, and I’m thinking that it could stand to be a few degrees warmer.

Talk about spoiled.

Talk about what a shock when I get into that water at Fort Buenaventura on Saturday morning.

So I guess the lesson from this is that there is probably somebody that’s got it better than you do, but there’s also somebody that’s got it worse. It’s all relative!

(for more info about the Plunge, see the schools web site: http://www.northdavisprep.org/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment